Strange crash on NA Standard #1 today

AWood

Well-Known Member
Hello,
I am looking for admin assistance in determining if this is a threat or not. I was playing TF2C this evening and a couple of times on the NA Standard #1 server, after players joined my game crashed and I have reason to believe that this might be either a crash purely on the client side or some player that found an RCE exploit, crashing a part of the game and attempting to run RCE via a buffer overflow or something akin to that, which subsequently crashes the game. I also *think* that at least one player joined named HaCkErMaN and while that could just be a legitimate user (because who would openly call themselves that when doing malicious things) it could also be a case of some script kiddy thinking he's getting away with shit. Unfortunately I was unable to collect Steam IDs. The error states:

BONK!

We crashed. Sorry about that.
If you've enabled crash reporting,
we'll get right on that.

I have messaged sappho about this since the error in question is tied to her code, as evidenced by the window banner I get when that crashes. While I know that the mods/admins here are NOT devs, what is in their control however is the server logs and I would like to insist/urge that they look into logins around 5 PM - 7 PM today on the NA Server #1. It seemed shockingly sparse while Standard 2 is filled currently, and I think that it could either be a server compatibility issue and then the game client crashes, or a legitimate attack. To protect myself, I've immediately stopped using that partition on my drive, ended all of my sessions on that drive, did a scan for malware, and have booted into a different operating system. I hope that this is just me being overcautious.
 
My understanding is the devs are aware of this particular crash and they are working on a fix. (We share any server-side crash-dumps with them as well). I'm told it's clientside and nothing to be concerned about, though I'll pass this along for confirmation and follow up if I hear anything different.

~Vintage
 

Funding Progress To Date

Our Servers

VaultF4 on Steam


49458 Members
(7287 Online 640 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom